Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"This is a very harmonious batch; no arguing or whatever nonsense it is yet. The wheels haven't come off, and that's good." - Lofty

it appears that almost all the other Groopeas have blogged about our miraculous group rebound so i shall be a groupie [haha. note my clever makoto-like pun] and go along.

we came, we saw, we scrapped, we tried again, we changed space [twice] and somehow, theatre presented itself in the darkest circumstances. the original piece from prelims was zapped into oblivion and we came up with a new piece + complete script in 3 days, relocated twice in 24 hours and ready for the day of reckoning in 6 days time. much thaks to groopeas for making me feel as if i was always one of them from the start. it's that love during slots that gives me new verve, drives me even when i'm grumpily weary and makes me passionate for theatre despite the setbacks in my IS.

speaking of which, my IS has finally revealed first signs of its tentative blossom. my 5 period slot today looked destined to end barely fruitful, as if trying to batter down a stone wall with a wooden hammer, praying hard that some miracle would happen. well, today it seemingly did. after albert made me redo my opening sequence [which i was very proud of and surprised that he asked me to rework it], i decided to revamp my entire soundscape while keeping to the framework. it sounds a lot richer now. far from perfect but with refinement, a piece i can finally say that i am proud of. as lofty would say, it's still early days, and i have a good feeling about this.

my experience in TSD has taught me that good theatre is like giving birth. you carry what appears to be a dependant entity everywhere you go, and it never ceases to make its presence felt. as the day draws closer, the burden seems to grow heavier, more demanding, and its effect on the body is grotesque. the wearying strains show and legs creak with the weight of it all. then, at the excruciating point of labour comes life, in all its full-blown glory. the baby that emerges is nothing like the sperm and egg that first formed it. such is the nature of theatre.

how strange that a guy should use an analogy of pregnancy to illustrate theatre. lol. well, to June 1st and 8th. *prays hard*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home